South Surcharge Settlement
- Claim forms can be filed online or sent via mail
- List of Frequently Asked Questions is provided
- Administrator contact information is available
It would be pretty hard to find someone who actually enjoys being hit with an unexpected surcharge. With that being said, it comes as no surprise to see a class action lawsuit filed over allegations that RMG Sunset, Inc. restaurants (Cabo Cantina, Baja Beach Café, Fiesta Cantina, PB Cantina, Jameson’s Irish Pub and Sunset Trocadero Lounge) violated consumer protection laws by engaging in deceptive practices and false advertising by introducing a “living wage” surcharge to the bills of its customers. The Defendant (RMG Sunset, Inc.), however, denies not only the allegations that it engaged in unfair business practices but also denies that consumers have been harmed in any way. Regardless of the disagreement, a full-blown trial seems unlikely as both parties have agreed to settlement the matter to avoid the risks and costs associated with taking the case deeper into litigation (sometimes it’s just a good idea to avoid the murkier waters!). Those who believe they are eligible for compensation begin by going to the South Surcharge Settlement page and clicking the Submit Claim tab.
Seems easy enough! What else do I need to know?
- The purchases must have taken place between January 1st, 2012 and May 31st, 2020
- Those who can produce receipts will receive full reimbursement (good luck with that!)
- Those who cannot produce receipts can receive a 10% off voucher or a check for $3
- May 21st, 2020 is the date by which claims must be filed (online or through the mail)
- Those who wish to request an exclusion must do so by the April 30th, 2020 deadline
April 30th, 2020 is also the cut off date for Class Members to file an objection to the settlement. Those are thinking about showing up for the Final Approval Hearing may want to circle the date of August 3rd, 2020 on the calendar (it starts at 11 AM so circle the time on a clock too if that’s even possible). Many questions about the settlement can be answered by reviewing the information found under the Frequently Asked Questions section of the South Surcharge Settlement page. Those who still have questions after reviewing the FAQs may want to try reaching out directly to the Settlement Administrator.
Settlement Administrator Address
- PO Box 42764, Philadelphia, PA 19102-2764