Get on the HHA List
- Residents can apply for waiting list online
- Waiting list will be decided by random lottery
Houston residents looking to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program better act fast. The Houston Housing Authority has opened up the program’s waiting list for a limited time and applications are available online from September 19th, 2020 at 8 AM through September 25th, 2020 at 11:59 PM. Those who are looking to get on the waiting list will need to go to the Get on the HHA List page and click the appropriate link to apply. Once an application has been submitted it will be entered into a lottery to determine which 30,000 applicants will be selected for the waiting list.
Things to Know When Applying Through the Get on the HHA List Page
- It doesn’t matter when an application is submitted as all applications will have an equal shot at getting on the HCV waiting list through a computer generated random lottery to be held on September 29th, 2020
- After the September 29th, 2020 random lottery applicants can check to see if they have been placed on the HCV waiting list by using the Lottery AppChecker (linked to at the Get on the HHA List page)
- Online applications can be submitted 24 hours a day at the Get on the HHA List page (paper applications are not available at any Houston Housing Authority office)
- Applicants who experience an error or delay while attempting to submit an application are encouraged to wait a couple of minutes and try again
Those who do not have access to the internet can breathe easy knowing that the Houston Housing Authority has coordinated with Houston City and Harris County libraries (libraries provide public access to the internet). Applications can also be accessed through the use of a smart phone if need be.
- 713-260-0500 from 8 AM to 5 PM
How do I check my housing status?
During the application process, you may check on the status of your application online or by calling (215) 684-4000. Hearing Impaired: 711 or TTY-800-654-5984. Click here for other, non-PHA housing resources in the City.
How do I check the waiting list for housing?
The most reliable way to check the status of an application or waiting list position is to contact the housing provider directly. Housing Authorities and property managers are not required to disclose the application status of individual applicants.
How do I apply for Section 8 in Houston TX?
Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) To apply for either type of help, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA). Questions? Email or call our Public and Indian Housing Information Resource Center toll-free at (800) 955-2232.
Is Houston Housing Authority accepting applications?
The Houston Housing Authority is no longer accepting paper applications for public housing, at any of its sites or offices. Interested persons are able to submit applications only online, 24-hours a day.